Retargeting ads are one of the smartest ecommerce marketing tactics to help lure the casual browser back to your website to land the sale. Whether you’re running a retargeting ad on Facebook, or sending a retargeting email campaign, it can help boost sales you otherwise would’ve missed out on. Retargeting campaigns give your business a second chance with a customer who has already visited your website. Sometimes a customer gets distracted by external factors while shopping on your store. With retargeting, you remind your customer to come back to your website to finish their purchase. In this article, you’ll learn why you should retarget, how to set up a retargeting pixel, retargeting tactics and more.
Why You Should Retarget Your Customers
- Most people don’t buy on the first visit: Approximately 2% of web visitors purchase on their first visit. With retargeting ads, you gain a chance to remarket to the 98% who didn’t buy the first time around.
- Can boost sales: Sometimes a customer doesn’t buy from your store because of reasons that have nothing to do with your store or products. Maybe they got distracted, or were waiting for pay day. By retargeting them, you can boost sales by reminding your customers to buy from you. Retargeting ads work really well because customers have already visited your website, so they’re familiar with your products.
- Keeps your brand at top of mind: With retargeting, you keep your brand at the top of your customer’s mind. You help prevent them from shopping elsewhere. When they see your retargeting ad, they’re more likely to come back to your website to complete their purchase – especially if you offer an incentivized discount.
- Helps fight abandoned carts: Many customers add items to their carts and then abandon their cart. With retargeting ads, you can remarket your products to customers even if you don’t have their email address. You can eventually lower your abandoned cart rate by getting customers back to complete their purchase.
How Retargeting Works
When a customer visits your websites, a cookie is placed on their computer. If you’re running ads with Facebook or Google, you’ll need to ensure that you have a piece of code on your website so that you can retarget your customers. If you have Facebook pixel installed, when a customer logs into Facebook, they’ll see your retargeting ad. If the customer is ready to complete their purchase, they’ll click the ad and complete the transaction.
How to Set up a Retargeting Pixel in Shopify
To create your own Facebook retargeting pixel, you’ll first need to log into Facebook. You’ll need to go into your Ads Manager under the ‘Manage ads’ section. You’ll then want to click Pixels, under Assets. Then, you’ll want to follow the steps under ‘Create a Pixel.’ Keep in mind that you can only use one pixel per ad account. You’ll want to name your pixel the name of your store or business. Next, click ‘I agree to the Facebook Pixel Terms.’ Then, click ‘Create Pixel.’ Note the Facebook Pixel ID. You’ll need to add this number to Shopify’s backend.
Now, you can install you Facebook retargeting pixel in Shopify’s backend. Under Online Store, click Preferences. Then, scroll down to Facebook Pixel. Paste your Facebook Pixel ID in the box.
Retargeting Shopify Apps
- Retargeting on Autopilot by Shoelace: Shoelace is a great app for those who want to retarget on Facebook or Instagram. With regular use, the Shoelace app provides suggestions on how to increase ROI to better market to your customers. They only track customers who didn’t complete their purchase which allows you to focus on remarketing to the casual browser.
- MailChimp for Shopify: If you use Mailchimp for your email marketing, you’re able to retarget customers through abandoned cart emails. You will need to have their email in order to remarket to them.
- Web Browser Push Notifications by FirePush: You can use this retargeting app to help boost sales. After a customer has left your website you can remarket to them if they’ve abandoned cart, if they’ve allowed push notifications. You can also use this tool to inform customers of promotions, new content, or new products. When customers abandon their cart, they’re immediately notified with a reminder to help close the sale.
- Add to cart: Retargeting add to carts is one of the smartest things you could ever do in your marketing efforts. They convert well. They’re also great because you won’t have access to the customer’s email yet, but can still remarket to them. An add to cart and an abandoned cart are different. An abandoned cart is when a customer goes through the checkout process filling out their details but doesn’t finish paying for it. An add to cart is when a customer adds an item(s) to their cart but never goes through the checkout process. With retargeting ads, you can remarket to customers who’ve only added items to their cart. Hopefully, by retargeting them, you can get them to go through the sales process.
- Blog post: If you’re constantly building out your blog content, you should consider retargeting customers who’ve visited your content. You’ll be able to retarget them with relevant products. The best thing about retargeting blog visitors is that the ads are really cheap.
- Email retargeting: If you have access to a customer’s email because they’re logged in or abandoned their cart, you can retarget them via email. Amazon often sends retargeting emails which remind you of items you’ve left in your cart. You may have noticed that many websites are now asking for permission to send push notifications. Like mentioned earlier, you can use a Shopify app called Web Browser Push Notifications by FirePush to do this for you. When a customer agrees to push notifications, you can inform them of promotions, retarget them and more on their browser. You’ll want to use push notifications sparingly as to not frustrate your customers but they can be an effective tool.
- Link Retargeting: With this new technology, you can now retarget anyone that clicks on your custom shortlinks. You can shorten the link to any piece of content, whether owned or third-party content, and build a retargeting audience from everyone that clicks on the link. This allows you to build highly segmented audiences by sharing content that is targeted towards a specific group of people. For example, if you share content about a shaving product for men, most of the people that that will click on the link to that content piece would be men that are interested in shaving products. Now, when they see your retargeting ads for shaving products, they are more likely to click-through and purchase the product. Link Retargeting can improve your marketing ROI significantly by providing personalized retargeting ads to the right people at the right time.
- Don’t show retargeting ads to people who’ve made a purchase: When retargeting customers, it’s important to make sure you don’t retarget customers who’ve made a purchase. For example, if a customer saw your makeup brush ad immediately after they’ve purchased from you, they’ll likely be annoyed. The ad won’t be relevant to them as they’ve already bought the product. You can still continue to market to your customers after they’ve completed a purchase but you’ll want to show them upsell products rather than a retargeting ad.
- Keep your ad frequency low: You should keep your ad frequency under eight. The reality is while retargeting ads are effective, if a customer isn’t interested in buying the product the ad will quickly become annoying. Sometimes the price is too high for a customer or they can’t afford the shipping rate. There are numerous reasons why a customer might not buy your product. Be sure to set limits for how often and how long you show them retargeting ads. You can also offer a discount to help combat the pricing issue.
- Be mindful of your niche: Some niches shouldn’t use retargeting ads. For example, if you sell engagement rings, you wouldn’t want to show retargeting ads on a person’s computer as their partner might see it spoiling the surprise. Other examples include teeth whitening, balding, and other sensitive topics which may embarrass a customer who previously visited your website if anyone sees it.
- Show relevant products: If a customer added a specific item to their cart, you’ll want to show that product in your retargeting ad. If they liked a product enough to add it to their cart they’d likely be willing to buy it. Customers may be waiting to complete their purchase. By retargeting them, you keep your product at the top of their mind.
- Use your marketing tactics: When retargeting a customer, you’ll want to use various marketing tactics such as scarcity, urgency, or offering an exclusive discount.
Are you currently using retargeting ads on your store? Let us know if they’ve been working well for you.
Want to learn more?
- 10 Online Stores to Use as Inspiration for Your First Store
- [VIDEO] Ecommerce Advantages and Disadvantages You Need to Know
- The Beginners Guide: Facebook Marketing Cost and Tips
- How to Make Sales From Impulse Buyers
Is there anything else you’d like to know more about and wish was included in this article? Let us know in the comments below!