Asserting its dominance as the top video marketing platform, with nearly one billion users globally, YouTube is a social media channel businesses need to prioritize if they want to succeed in video marketing. 

To effectively harness its power and potential, it’s essential to grasp not only the age demographics of YouTube users, but also their gender distribution. In other words, we need to know whether the majority of YouTube users are male or female. Here’s a comprehensive breakdown of YouTube’s gender demographics.

Start selling online now with Shopify

Start your free trial

YouTube gender demographics in 2024

So, what percentage of YouTube viewers are male and what percentage are female? According to a recent report examining YouTube’s ad reach among users aged 18 and above, male viewers comprise 54.4% of YouTube’s global ad reach, while female viewers represent 45.6%.

For businesses targeting audiences in the United States, it’s noteworthy that YouTube’s gender demographics differ. In the US, female users constitute the majority, comprising 51.4% of all YouTube users there, while males account for the remaining 48.6%.

→ Click Here to Launch Your Online Business with Shopify

YouTube’s gender demographics and ad reach parallel those of other social media platforms, such as Facebook, whose ads reach 56.8% of males and 43.2% of females among users aged 18 and above. This pattern also aligns with the global distribution of male versus female social media users, which currently stands at 53.5% and 46.5%, respectively.

In terms of adoption, YouTube appears to be more popular among males. The same report indicates that 40.6% of the male population worldwide watches YouTube, which translates to more than two in five males. In contrast, this figure falls to 33.8% for females, equating to approximately one in three females.

YouTube male-to-female ratio: by age group

A further breakdown of YouTube’s gender demographics reveals that male users between the ages of 25 and 34 form the largest demographic group. They constitute 12.2% of YouTube’s audience. In comparison, females in this age bracket represent 9.1% of all YouTube users.

Moreover, the data highlights a trend where there are more male than female YouTube users across multiple age groups. This holds true for users aged 18 to 24, 35 to 44, and 45 to 54. Among users aged 55 to 64, the distribution is equal, with both genders accounting for 4.6% of the audience. However, females outnumber males among users aged 65 and above, with 4.9%, compared to 4.3%.

Start selling online now with Shopify

Start your free trial

Want to learn more?